on the doorposts

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

esv introductory video

Modern Bible translations abound. Several years ago the KJV was surpassed by the New International Version (NIV) in Bible sales. During the mid-1990s I read the NIV for a short period of time, and it was a disappointment. Without detailing the linguistic processes supporting this version, it will suffice to say that the NIV is not a translation. It more closely resembles a paraphrase; the 'translators' relied upon a method called dynamic equivalence when producing this version. In other words, they attempted to communicate the intentions of the biblical authors rather than faithfully translate each word.

We are convinced that each and every word of Scripture is inerrant and must be translated as such with integrity. The English Standard Version translation team relied upon an essentially literal approach because of the conviction that every word is inspired by God. More than sixty leading scholars pored over every word and phrase to achieve the unique accuracy, excellence, and beauty of the ESV Bible.

To view an ESV Introductory Video, click here!

5 Comments:

  • Hi Mr. Moore
    Interesting posts. I have also been studying the different versions of the bible, and I'm going to include those studies in my new blog.

    Zachary P.

    By Blogger Wholesome Works, at Thu Feb 09, 01:36:00 PM PST  

  • Thanks Steve!

    By Blogger Robert W Moore, at Thu Feb 09, 03:24:00 PM PST  

  • Hi Zachary,

    Thanks for visiting and commenting. I honestly didn't think that I'd make the switch from KJV -- to ANY other translation.

    The integrity of the KJV is notable, but the reality is that our language has changed considerably. That, of course, should never be a reason to begin reading/studying seriously flawed versions. The ESV seems to be passing the test.

    I'll look forward to reading your comments over on the new blog.

    God bless,
    Robert

    By Blogger Robert W Moore, at Thu Feb 09, 03:30:00 PM PST  

  • Dad,

    Thank you for posting. Have you mentioned these stories before to me? I don't remember anything about the promise box or tatted cross. I like it when you talk about our family history.

    Elizabeth

    By Blogger Elizabeth Pruett, at Fri Feb 10, 12:50:00 PM PST  

  • Hi Elizabeth,

    I'm sure I've mentioned these things, but it's probably been a long time.

    My grandmother and grandfather were faithful Christian warriors.

    Have I ever told you about my dog Rex?

    ;-)

    Dad

    By Blogger Robert W Moore, at Fri Feb 10, 03:49:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home